Damage control

wpid-DSC_1944.jpg

A few nights ago, when I finished the first front panel of my pink and white jacket I had a feeling it would be too long. Not too long as in the whole jacket would be too long but as in the part from the decreases for the sleeve and up till the cast off is too long which would create a gigantic armhole. This I choose to ignore and thought that it will be better after blocking (mistake number 1, if you feel that something will be better after blocking (and we’re not talking about the looks of lace) you’re usually wrong. A lot of things get better with blocking but not the essentials, you can’t block an armhole shorter).  I continued with the armhole shaping for the back of the jacket and did it as long as the first front panel. Then I held them together and put my arm through the armhole. Big. This I choose to ignore thinking it will get better after blocking (mistake number 2, for the same reason as number 1).

Yesterday I did the second front panel, only this time the jacket is so heavy since I’m doing both fronts and the back in one piece that I could not ignore the too long armhole anymore. I once knit a tunic where the explicitly said to measure the project hanging and not lying flat. I choose to ignore that (a mistake due to lack of experience) with the result of a tunic that more resembled an ankle long dress instead of a thigh long tunic. I tried to shrink it but without success and I was determined not to make the same mistake again. This did not leave out the fact that my jacket had far too big armholes.

I sat down and started thinking and came to the reaslisation that it wouldn’t have to be that much work to unravel and reknit. I would only have to unravel the back and then just pick up stitches and cast off. The fronts would take a little more effort because the neckline needed to be changed as well (if the armhole is too big and you try to make it smaller by shortening the panels you might need to put the neckline decreases a little lower as well since you might otherwise churning out a most unwanted turtle neck jacket.

I could probably have saved myself a lot of time if I had come to this conlusion at the first front panel but I just wasn’t ready to make the decision then. There was still a chance everything might turn out okay and it is a huge thing to pull the needle and start unraveling. Think of all the stitches that I’ve made that is now gone and lost forever (granted that no one needed them in the project, that’s why they were unraveled but still, it hurts a little). By the second front panel all hope was out and I was finally ready to make the decision. Unfortuntely I came to this conclusion just before bedtime. When something like this happen, or when I realize I’ve made a mistake in my cross-stitching, I always want to fix the mistake immediately so I won’t have to start with fixing something when I next pick up the project. What if I’ve forgotten what needs to be done or the plan for fixing it? That could possibly increase the extent of damage.

But time for bed is time for bed and instead of unraveling I put the project back into it’s bag and went to bed feeling very uncomfortable. The feeling was still there when I woke up and when I went to work. We would not be friends again, me and that jacket, until I had fixed the problem and could knit on as if nothing had happened.

When I finally had time to sit down to look it over it turned out I didn’t have to unravel as much as I thought which meant I could keep the neckline decreases. A few pulled rows and some picked up stitches later all was well again and the jacket was in favour again. And at the same time the weird uncomfortable feeling disappeared. It’s almost scary how much a project can affect your mood but all is well that ends well. We’ll se how the jacket story continues. (Imgaine my anger if it turns out in the end that the armholes are too shallow.)